Flood Insurance vs. Homeowner’s Insurance – Which Will Cover It?

floodThere are several scenarios that may have you questioning which insurance policy will cover your claims.  Here are some examples:

1. You notice that your swimming pool is losing water.  At the same time, you notice that your basement is gaining water.  Coincidence?  Nope.  Your pool has a crack in it, which caused water to seep out.  Which insurance will cover the damage to your basement?

– In this case, your homeowner’s insurance would be the one to file against.  However, whether or not you will have coverage for your basement will depend on the cause of the leak.

2. A huge rainstorm is blowing rain into your first floor because the seal around a window is not properly holding.  The sheetrock and window pane are clearly suffering from water damage.  Which policy will cover it?

– Once again, contact your homeowner’s insurance claims department.  Water that comes down from the sky is not considered flood water, so your homeowner’s policy would be the one to cover this loss.  Be sure to check with your agent as wind-driven rain is not always covered under homeowner’s policies.

3. The same rainstorm caused the retention basin next to your house to overflow and leak into your basement.  Will your homeowner’s policy cover that loss?

– Unfortunately, no, your homeowner’s policy would not cover this loss.  In this case you would need to have a flood insurance policy in effect in order to recover any of the loss.  If any of your property is damaged other than the structure of your home, you will need to have flood coverage for your property as well as the structure.

If you are uncertain about what type of coverage you need or would like more information on flood insurance in your area, please contact us.  We would be happy to give you a quote on a flood insurance policy to cover your home, business, and other property.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *