As if driving through rush hour isn’t stressful enough, finding the right car seat for your infant, toddler, or child can be downright nerve racking! But with car crashes being a leading cause of death amongst children ages 1-13, having the right car seat is extremely important.
Your child is an individual with his or her own body type: height, weight, and age all need to be taken into account. But there are some guidelines that can help you narrow down which seat is right. There are three things to remember when looking for a seat, and they all involve finding the proper fit.
- Does it fit your child properly?
- Does it fit your vehicle properly?
- And does it fit your lifestyle properly? In other words, is it easy to use?
But even when you find the perfect seat, you want to be sure it is installed properly. Did you know you can find a certified Child Passenger Safety technician in your area by checking www.safecar.gov/therightseat? He or she will check to make sure your seat falls within the laws of your state and is safely installed in your car or truck.
In the meantime, here are some guidelines for you to remember:
- Always keep children under age 1 in the back in a rear-facing car seat.
- Keep children ages 1-3 rear-facing as long as possible.
- Don’t let children under 13 ride in the front seat.
- Have your child’s car seat checked at an inspection station or by a certified child passenger safety technician. Bring the Car Seat Instructions AND the Vehicle Owner’s Manual with you to a seat check appointment!
Also, having the right car insurance is important. Call us at [astPhone] with any questions about how your insurance will cover you and your family in the unfortunate event of an accident on the road.